Bioinformatics is the application of data science in the biological field. Spurred by innovations in high-throughput genomics and computing technology, bioinformatics is rapidly becoming a central discipline in life science, medicine, biotechnology, and the pharmaceutical industry. By collecting and process a massive amount of biological data, bioinformatics allows an understanding of the life and death of organisms using “Big Data”.
Why Choose University of the Sciences?
USciences is proud to have been the first bioinformatics degree program in Pennsylvania, and our unique program is ideal for international students:
- No GRE/GMAT required
- Minimal 30 credits for graduation
- Small class size to allow extensive 1-to-1 interactions.
- Educating entry-level bioinformatics scientists by integrating biology and computer science.
Recently, we performed a LinkedIn survey of our graduates and found that essentially all have found employment in Bioinformatics or related disciplines, or they went on to pursue further graduate study.
Graduates of the USciences program work as bioinformatics scientists, specialists and analysts or data scientists in academic, government, and industrial research labs including:
- Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
- Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory
- University of Pennsylvania
- The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia
- Merck Research Laboratories
- Astra Zeneca
- PRA Health Sciences
- Inovio Pharmaceutical
- Optum Technology
- Dartmouth College Geisel School of Medicine
A key requirement of the master's degree is the completion of an independent project over a period of two semesters. Here, you will take primary responsibility for a practical programming problem in bioinformatics, typically the creation of software needed to fulfill a specific, real-life need.
This independent work will be conducted at the site of an industrial or academic partner of the Bioinformatics Program, providing you with invaluable experience far beyond the level of a typical course or term project.
Philadelphia is at the center of pharmaceutical research. Our students typically have no problems in finding such internship positions.
Every student will receive the Graduate Discount, which will reduce the cost of tuition to $1,000 per credit.
The requirements for the master's degree are designed with a balanced emphasis on both basic science (biology and biochemistry) and computing, with special focus on the programming skills most needed in today's pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries.
The Yüksek Lisans of Science, Non-Thesis degree program can be completed through a Biotechnology or Computational track.
You can find more specific information on the courses and structure of the program here.
- B.S. degree in the field of biosciences or computer science
- Cumulative GPA 2.7 based on a 4.0 grading system
- TOEFL 90 or IELTS 6.5
- No GRE/GMAT score required
- Application deadline: April 1st for fall entry
- Top 10 in the United States for salary after graduation (among colleges and universities with more than 500+ undergraduates enrolled [Dept. Of Education College Scorecard, Oct 2019])
- #1 in the United States for ROI 40 years after enrollment (among private colleges and universities across the country [A First Try at ROI: Ranking 4,500 Colleges, Georgetown University, 2019])
- Lower, fixed tuition–know the full cost from day one until graduation
- Hands-on undergraduate research and experiential learning as early as freshman year
- 7:1 student-to-faculty ratio, personalized attention from expert faculty
- Over 30 academic programs with 60+ student organizations in an urban campus
- Alumni include founders of six of the world’s leading pharmaceutical companies
- Founded as Philadelphia College of Pharmacy, the first college of pharmacy in North America
- Located in Philadelphia, a major pharmaceutical, medical, technological and business hub
University of the Sciences has prepared students to be leaders and practitioners in the healthcare and science fields for nearly 200 years. Key to its distinctive education is a tradition of hands-on ... Devamını oku